North Hempstead Wants Your Feedback on Dog-Friendly Parks!
Do you live in Port Washington, Manhasset, New Hyde Park, Carle Place, Westbury or any other town in the Town of North Hempstead? Would you like to walk your dogs in town parks instead of along busy streets and sidewalks? Then, come to the public hearing on Tues., Feb. 23d at 7:30 p.m. at Town Hall and let the town know!
In June 2015, North Hempstead Supervisor Judi Bosworth, the Hempstead Town Board, and Parks Commissioner Jill Weber took the historic step of opening three local parks to on-leash dogs as part of a pilot program. Until then, North Hempstead, like almost all other towns on LI, banned dogs in town parks. Check out the three dog-friendly parks with your dog at:
- North Hempstead Beach Park in Roslyn (Google Map)
- Mary Jane Davies Park in Manhasset (Google Map)
- Michael J. Tully Park in New Hyde Park (Google Map)
- Come let Supervisor Judi Bosworth and other members of the Town Board know how great it is to walk your dog in a park instead of along the street. It’s important they hear from North Hempstead dog owners. There are always a few people who object, so dog owners need to step up and be heard at the Town Board meeting. Elected officials need to know there are many residents who support park access for dog owners and their dogs!
- The town’s groundbreaking step was taken as part of a six-month pilot program designed to assess the success of letting people walk their leashed dogs in town parks. The pilot program has reached the six- month point and now a public hearing has been scheduled for Tues., Feb. 23rd to consider letting people walk their dogs in these parks permanently!
- It’s much safer to walk your leashed dog in local parks instead of along busy streets.
- It’s one of the best ways to get exercise not just for your dog, but for you, too!
- You’re a responsible dog owner and you clean up after your dog—always.
- You’re a taxpayer and your taxes support these public parks just like other residents in town who can use these parks.
- Every day in thousands of communities across America, people walk their leashed dogs in public parks. It’s time this most basic and enjoyable recreational activity is available to North Hempstead residents!
Don’t let the naysayers outnumber the majority of people who support walking dogs in local parks. Bring your friends and family to the Town Board Meeting, too! Public Hearing, Tues., Feb. 23rd at 7:30 p.m. North Hempstead Town Hall 220 Plandome Rd. Manhasset, NY 11030 (Google Map)
Thanks for your support!
Also, if you have not already done so and you are a Town of North Hempstead resident, take the Town’s online survey about the groundbreaking pilot program. Let Supervisor Judi Bosworth and Parks Commissioner Jill Weber know how much you, your family and many of your friends want dog-friendly local parks.