It’s a real “dog day afternoon” as the Long Island Kennel Club welcomes families and their fur children to the Long Island Dog Festival on Sunday, May 20th from 9 a.m. – 4 p.m. at beautiful Planting Fields Arboretum in Oyster Bay.
The Long Island Dog Festival is part of the annual Long Island spring dog shows on Friday and Saturday (held by the Ladies Kennel Association) and Sunday’s Long Island Kennel Club show. Sunday’s Long Island Dog Festival celebrates all things canine from impeccable show dogs and agility training to doggie dock diving and talent shows.
The day’s activities culminate with the Conformation Show on Sunday when hundreds of superbly presented dogs – coiffed collies, pedicured poodles, dandified Dandie Dinmonts and other breeds–vie for bragging rights as Best in Show. All are invited to this parade of pups and cheer on the winner of the coveted ribbon.
Sunday is also Costume Day. This year’s theme is Long Island Nautical. Prizes will be awarded for the best adult costumes (male and female), children’s costumes (boy and girl), and pet costume.
Other Long Island Dog Festival highlights include:
– AKC’s My Dog Can Do That! A professional instructor will help your dog navigate tunnels and jumps, just like those high-powered agility dogs on television.
– Dog Trick Competition. Can your hound give a high five? Can your terrier tap dance? Four-legged friends are invited to strut their stuff in the “My Dog Can Do That” competition.
– Dock Diving. It’s the latest water sport for dogs! A professional will be on hand to teach your pooch how to make a splash.
– Ask a Breeder. This is your chance to meet local purebred breeders and ask them anything you’ve always wanted to know about your specific breed.
– Canine Crafts. A special coloring area lets even the youngest dog lovers be part of the action and a professional face painter will transform little ones into playful pups.
• Chow. An array of food and drinks will be available for purchase – including hot dogs, of course!
• Vendors. Take some pooch-centric goodies back to your dog house.
Admission is $20 per car and includes all-day access to Planting Fields Arboretum, located at 1395 Planting Fields Rd, Oyster Bay, NY, a beautifully-preserved Gold Coast mansion and gardens that hearken back Long Island’s gilded age glmour.
For more information, contact 516-378-9081 or 631-928-4312, or visit Long Island Dog Shows on the web.